Comfort and Cookies and Kids….. There is magic in a good cookie. When you are on a grain free or gluten free a way of eating, or you just want to give your Kids something that will nourish them instead of get them wired, this can be a challenge! I have had a lot of gluten free baked goods in my life… many of which fall flat in the flavor department. The single note of “way too much sugar” is a disapointment. It seems when people take out the gluten, they want to add more sugar. I say let’s add more flavor! How about a cookie with layers of taste, with notes of earthy and sweet. Say hello to figs and chocolate! This is my new favorite flavor combination that delivers just the right amount of flavor, texture and sweetness. Your family will devour these and you will feel good about the nutrition! These cookies are full of healthy fats, protein, fiber and just the right amount of sweetness.
Inspired Bite: These cookies freeze perfectly. Toss a few into your lunch bag frozen and they will be perfect come snack-time! If your dried figs are a little too dry, place in a glass bowl and cover with boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain well. This will soften them so they will blend more easily.
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup raw almond or cashew butter
- 6-8 dried organic figs
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons plain organic Greek yogurt or coconut yogurt
- 1 tablespoon organic coconut sugar (optional)
- 2 pastured eggs
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup organic semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Organic coconut sugar to sprinkle on cookies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine nut butter, coconut flour and dried figs in a food processer, blend well.
- Add the shredded coconut, yogurt, eggs, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and baking soda and blend for 30 seconds until dough forms.
- Add in the chocolate chips and pulse once or twice until combined. Do not overmix.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop dough onto parchment lined baking sheet.
- Slightly flatten cookies with a wet spatula or your fingers. Sprinkle with coconut sugar if desired.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden on top.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Store in a glass container in the refrigerator.